Nassau County Executive Laura Curran announced Monday the start of antibody testing at the County’s COVID-19 testing sites in Elmont, Freeport, Hempstead, and Westbury. The antibody testing is open to all and begins Tuesday, June 2nd at all four of Nassau County’s Long Island Federally Qualified Health Centers (LIFQHC). Residents do not have had to have symptoms to be tested
“We are on the road to recovery and a big factor in coming back successfully is testing. The more residents we can get tested, the quicker we will be able to safely reopen Nassau. By offering antibody testing in addition to diagnostic testing we will be able to get a better picture of the infection rate in our communities, especially in those hit hardest by COVID-19. Getting tested is quick, convenient, and free,” said Nassau County Executive Laura Curran
The antibody test was developed and validated by Nassau University Medical Center Labs. The clinics will administer approximately 500 tests per week and will reevaluate depending on demand. Antibody testing will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Diagnostic COVID-19 testing will now take place only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. All testing takes from place from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and is by appointment only.
County Executive Curran also recently announced expanded eligibility for diagnostic testing at these clinics. Eligible residents include:
Any individual who has COVID-19 symptoms;
- Any individual who has had contact with a person known to be positive with COVID-19;
- Any individual who is subject to a precautionary or mandatory quarantine;
- Any individual who is employed as a health care worker, nursing home worker or first responder;
- Any essential worker who directly interacts with the public while working
Nassau County operates four outdoor COVID-19 testing centers at the following locations:
- HEMPSTEAD HEALTH CENTER: 135 Main Street Hempstead, NY 11550 (Next to the Bus Terminal)
- ELMONT HEALTH CENTER: 161 Hempstead Turnpike, Elmont, NY 11003 (Across from Belmont Racetrack)
- SOUTH OCEAN CARE HEALTH CENTER: 101 South Bergen Freeport, NY 11520 (Parking lot next to Freeport Library)
- WESTBURY HEALTH CENTER: 682 Union Ave, Westbury, NY 11590
Call 516-396-7500 to inquire about an appointment. All locations are open for testing Monday – Friday 9:00am to 1:00pm. COVID-19 Testing is open to all regardless of immigration status or insurance.
To learn more about Long Island Federally Qualified Health Centers (LIFQHC), visit LIFQHC.org.